Re: Partitioning / Clustering - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Alex Stapleton
Subject Re: Partitioning / Clustering
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 12 May 2005, at 15:08, Alex Turner wrote:

> Having local sessions is unnesesary, and here is my logic:
>
> Generaly most people have less than 100Mb of bandwidth to the
> internet.
>
> If you make the assertion that you are transferring equal or less
> session data between your session server (lets say an RDBMS) and the
> app server than you are between the app server and the client, an out
> of band 100Mb network for session information is plenty of bandwidth.
> This also represents OLTP style traffic, which postgresql is pretty
> good at.  You should easily be able to get over 100Tps.  100 hits per
> second is an awful lot of traffic, more than any website I've managed
> will ever see.
>
> Why solve the complicated clustered sessions problem, when you don't
> really need to?

100 hits a second = 8,640,000 hits a day. I work on a site which does
 > 100 million dynamic pages a day. In comparison Yahoo probably does
 > 100,000,000,000 (100 billion) views a day
  if I am interpreting Alexa's charts correctly. Which is about
1,150,000 a second.

Now considering the site I work on is not even in the top 1000 on
Alexa, theres a lot of sites out there which need to solve this
problem I would assume.

There are also only so many hash table lookups a single machine can
do, even if its a Quad Opteron behemoth.