Re: partial "on-delete set null" constraint - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alban Hertroys
Subject Re: partial "on-delete set null" constraint
Date
List pgsql-general
> On 03 Jan 2015, at 14:11, Alban Hertroys <haramrae@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 02 Jan 2015, at 13:31, Rafal Pietrak <rafal@ztk-rp.eu> wrote:
>> Would it violate SQL standard (signifficantly), if an "on delete set null" action just ignored all the FK columns
thathave a "NOT NULL" constraint set?

> As I understand it, this is precisely why Boyce-relationality forbids NULLs in primary keys, although I’m not so sure
he’sright about that.

Well, that’s embarrassing, it’s only a few weeks since I learned this and I’m already attributing the theory to the
wrongdatabase deity! That’s Codd-relationality, of course. Not Boyce.

Alban Hertroys