Re: [HACKERS] So what is the current documentation status? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas G. Lockhart
Subject Re: [HACKERS] So what is the current documentation status?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> There's bits and pieces in each file that are not in the other one ---
> I'm afraid there's no substitute for going through both files manually
> to bring libpq.sgml fully up to speed.  I'm willing to do that...

Thanks. At your convenience, and I'll regenerate snapshot output.

> I concur; the libpq doco is unwieldy for a man page.  I don't have any
> problem with dropping the man page --- I'm just waiting for the
> merry-go-round to come to a stop.

OK, it is stopped, at least for libpq. Thanks for supporting this; the
new docs really look nice and the html and hardcopy output seems to be a
good way to present information.

There is now a list of all docs sources, with suggestions for some on
whether they are current, obsolete, or in need of replacement. The list
is in the Documentation appendix in either the integrated document
(postgres.tar.gz) or the Programmer's Guide (programmer.tar.gz).

> > I'll see if I can get enough finished on the web site pages to
> > update them with new info today.

The web page is now updated, and I've put full copies of several html
documents in ftp://postgresql.org/pub/patches/*.tar.gz, which is pointed
to by the web page.

> If anyone has any un-checked-in changes for either libpq.3 or
> libpq.sgml, please check them in soon or at least let me know about
> them.  I'll try to get to the documentation update work in a few days.

Sorry things got out of sync. I'll try to be more active in coordinating
things. Please make suggestions on what you would find useful (got to
keep those docs writers happy! :)

                     - Thomas