Re: [HACKERS] atttypmod now 32 bits, interface change - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Thomas G. Lockhart
Subject Re: [HACKERS] atttypmod now 32 bits, interface change
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
> >This week I'm too busy because I have to finish writing an article
> >on PostgreSQL for a Japanese magazine!
> >By the way what are the visible changes of 6.4?
> >I know now we can cancel a query. Could you tell me any other
> >thing so that I could refer to them in the article?
> Nothing big that I can think of.  Lots of cleanup/improvements to
> existing areas.

Now Bruce! The automatic type coersion features are a pretty big change,
especially for the casual user; the columns in queries get matched up
and converted without any explicit work from the user. I can give Tatsuo
some examples if he would like. I'll bet there are a few other changes
which would give readers a good idea about the ongoing support and
improvements to Postgres...

Speaking of docs, we'll have SQL and utility commands in an
html/hardcopy reference manual. Hmm, may not be as exciting for Japanese
readers, but... :)

I've been updating the old release notes in the sgml sources, and have
that completed. Perhaps we can start the v6.4 release notes now? With
the sgml sources we can have more summary verbiage to help users get
introduced to new features, and then roll it out into a text file if
necessary.

                         - Tom