Re: [GENERAL] Postgresql 6.3.1 on Irix 6.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ivan Cornell
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Postgresql 6.3.1 on Irix 6.2
Date
List pgsql-general
David Welton wrote:

> Hi, I am considering utilizing Postgresql for a rather intensive web
> project on an Irix 6.2 box.  I have had quite good results with
> postgresql on Linux, but, having perused the mailing lists and
> dejanews, I see that there are maybe some weirdnesses on Irix.  I'm
> curious if anyone else out there is using it for a heavy duty web
> project on Irix, and if so, how well it has performed.

Hello David,
I've got postgresql 6.3.X running fine on a couple of Irix 6.2 machines on
our intranet. The performance is fine - my venerable old Indigo 1
development machine has coped with 10 apache/php3 requests/sec for an
internal database. The problems on the mailing list probably refer to trying
to compile for the n32/64 ABI, which I haven't succeeded in doing (using
SGI's cc). I've compiled the server as an o32 and run it as that, and then
seperately compiled the cllient library as n32 for linking against perl,
etc. There is quite detailed info on how to compile in the IRIX specific FAQ
- make sure you check out http://www.biochem.ucl.ac.uk/~martin for the
latest version, as this tends to more up to date than the one shipped with
postgresql. I think the n32 version does compile up- I just haven't bothered
to do it!
--
Ivan Cornell, FrameStore Ltd
ivan.cornell@framestore.co.uk