Re: Yet another postgres scaling question (use on AMD Opteron) - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Fred Moyer
Subject Re: Yet another postgres scaling question (use on AMD Opteron)
Date
Re: Yet another postgres scaling question (use on AMD Opteron)  (Hans Spaans <pgsql-admin@lists.hansspaans.nl>)
List pgsql-admin
I don't think you're out of touch - I think the people I'm trying to
convince are.  The crux of the problem I am dealing with is putting forth
a robust argument for scaling PostgreSQL with 64 bit machines for
increasing database sizes - Opteron was a natural choice because it is an
inexpensive 64-bit machine.  The MySQL argument was put forth by
non-technical people who are have not thoroughly evaluated the differences
between the two and have been swayed by marketing arguments.

I guess what I am looking for here are real-world scenarios where
PostgreSQL has been scaled using 64-bit.  I as the technical person know
the performance and scalability differences between running large datasets
on 64 bit versus 32 bit machines and can put forth technical reasons for
scaling Postgres as such - real world examples of it would validate my
arguments.