Trouble connecting between postgresql machines - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Doug Hunt
Subject Trouble connecting between postgresql machines
Date
List pgsql-admin
Hello:  I recently installed postgresql 6.3.1-2a on my mklinux box.
I have an existing postgresql version 6.2.1 on my Sun Solaris 2.5.1
machine.  I have been unable to contact the older database from mklinux
via psql.  I continue to get the error:

Failed to authenticate client as postgres user 'huntd' using <unknown
authentication type>:be_recvauth: unrecognized message type:  65536

I have verified that both databases are open to connections from anyone,
anywhere.  I know that the user 'huntd' is in my pg_users table on the
older machine.  The user id of 'huntd' is the same on the old and new
machines.

I'm not sure what's going on.  Am I missing some authentication detail,
or is there a problem communicating between postgresql versions?

Any help would be much appreciated,

  Doug Hunt

Software Engineer
dhunt@ucar.edu