Re: [HACKERS] Re: Release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas G. Lockhart
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: Release notes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > Would it be possible to put the v6.3.x release notes into the v6.3.2
> > sgml sources?
> > This would give us some practice on including release notes in the
> > online docs for each release :)
> The release notes that are at the top of the HISTORY files, or
> /migration.  Both are useful.  They are just lists of items from the
> CVS logs.
> Do you want them in another format?

Well, yes, eventually...

Where I'm hoping to go with this is to have the release notes in sgml,
so that they become a part of the main docs. They are appropriate for
that for several reasons:

1) they document the evolution of capabilities
2) they highlight new capabilities
3) releases are snapshots which match these notes exactly
4) lots of people upgrade from old versions, jumping forward several
releases.
5) at least a few items deserve longer descriptions and explanations in
the release notes. These could be expanded from the "one-liner" items,
just like you did for the last release on a few of them.

Anyway, I think it would be a great addition to the "formal docs". Also,
we should (soon) be able to generate html docs on the fly on
postgresql.org, so it would be feasible to use this as a working
document between releases also.

                     - Tom