Re: PG 9.0 and standard_conforming_strings - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alex Hunsaker
Subject Re: PG 9.0 and standard_conforming_strings
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 13:42, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> writes:
>>> With the release of Postgres 9.0, should we consider changing the
>>> default for 'standard_conforming_strings'?
>
>> I'm inclined to think we're going to have enough problems without that.

> [ still bearing scars from the 8.3 implicit-cast business, which we
> didn't think would generate nearly the backlash it did... ]

Yeah that was my first reaction.  But then again we also have a guc
they can change back.  Sure you could create your own typecasts to
restore the old behavior in 8.3 (after trolling the mailing lists, or
finding some blog entry that got created X months after the
release...).   Thats no where near as nice as a simple setting.