Re: [HACKERS] info files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas G. Lockhart
Subject Re: [HACKERS] info files
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > No, I've just added a small man page. Where do I have to submit what in
> > terms of doc? How is documentation handled anyway?
>
>         pgsql-docs@postgresql.org is where you shoudl submit docs to of a
> non-man nature...Thomas is right now converting everything over to sgml(?)
> so that we have access to various formats at hand...

I'm converting the existing hardcopy, plus integrating some of the text help
files (e.g. SPI and triggers), plus adding some new information (e.g. data
types), plus updating some of the existing information.

Integrating the man page information will have to wait until after v6.3 for a
couple of reasons:

- the current man page source is the only mechanism for people doing updates
for v6.3 to put new information, and there are likely to be changes and
additions at the last minute. Once v6.3 is released, everyone will have
direct access to the sgml source since it will be in the distribution and in
the cvs tree.

- we should have a mechanism to take the sgml source and regenerate the man
pages, so we are working from only one source. Brandon is looking into this.

I can integrate your "info" if it is readable as a text file. I'm going to
freeze (or at least chill) the source content around Feb 15 to allow time to
generate good hardcopy and to work out conversion and installation issues in
time for the v6.3 release.

                                                                     - Tom