Re: [HACKERS] Re: [QUESTIONS] MySQL benchmark page - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vadim B. Mikheev
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: [QUESTIONS] MySQL benchmark page
Date
List pgsql-hackers
The Hermit Hacker wrote:

>         So, why is pg_class locked for the duration of a vacuum when the
> vacuum is being performed for the whole database when it should (I think)
> only need to be locked when updates are happening to it?

Yes, this is how it should be. This long lock comes from very old time.
When I visited vacuum last time (year ago) I hadn't time to decide
why this lock is here and could it be just removed or not.
Still no time :)

Vadim