Re: WIP: CoC - Mailing list pgsql-general

From James Keener
Subject Re: WIP: CoC
Date
List pgsql-general
> So is life. We aren't here to wipe butts and change a diaper.

But the original isn't constructive of what to do. If I am attacked personally I will feel offended, the point is what I do about it. Whining about bring offended vs bringing it up and saying that it is not acceptable behaviour are very different.

Worse, the original is nothing more than victim blaming.

Even worse, it's useless as not feeling offence isn't what this is about. What to do when you feel offended is.

> A safe, respectful, productive and collaborative environment is free
of non-technical or personal comments related to gender, sexual
orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size or race
I prefer my or the siblings more positive wording than an explicit negative of the types of personal attacks we don't like. We don't want any personal attacks!

Jim

On January 11, 2016 5:44:56 PM EST, "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
On 01/11/2016 02:30 PM, James Keener wrote:
(Sorry for the dup post. I felt having a clean thread without having to
cross-reference was worth the minor faux pas.)

3. A safe, respectful, productive and collaborative environment is free
of comments related to gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical
appearance, body size or race.

why not

3.A safe, respectful, productive and collaborative environment is free
of ad hominem.

I still think we need the examples which is why I sent this a few
minutes ago:

""" A safe, respectful, productive and collaborative environment is free
of non-technical or personal comments related to gender, sexual
orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size or race. """

Moreover,

2. The CoC is not about being offended.The act of being offended is
purely a recipient response and usually the offended individual is more
interested in being a victim than moving forward.

is very harsh.

So is life. We aren't here to wipe butts and change a diaper. However,
yes I do agree that it is harsh. The point is really in relation to #6,
the CoC is not about Social Justice.

There are people in this community, people I know personally who will
abuse this CoC if it is not exceedingly clear that their ability to be
offended is not relevant.

Sincerely,

JD