Re: Bolder vision of pg certification - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Dan Langille
Subject Re: Bolder vision of pg certification
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On May 7, 2008, at 10:12 AM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 08:57:39AM +0700, Mudy Situmorang wrote:
>>
>> I believe we should take the path of Oracle. The database company
>> that
>> become an Information Company, by their strength in education and
>> certification.
>
> That's not the only thing that Oracle did.  There is an important
> difference with Oracle: Oracle Corp can restrict what any of its
> customers say about the database system by virtue of the license those
> customers agreed to, and it can also control what any employees say
> about the system.  This contrast is important, because it puts
> practical limits on what an effort in the community can do.
>
> Furthermore, Oracle Corp had large amounts of money to spend on this
> certification effort.  The programs you are discussing are expensive
> to operate and extremely hard to develop.  This isn't something you do
> in a weekend with your friends, and still have it be valid.

The Original Poster has big plans.  Very big plans.  Such plans
require very large
wallets.  We are not a company.  We do not have the funding Oracle
has/did.  Mind you, if the OP has these funds, we're willing to
accept them.

I was going to reply in more detail to the OP, but I find myself
occupied with real things in the next three weeks.  Not hypotheticals
and nice-to-haves.  :)

We need people willing to do heavy lifting.  Not heavy thinking.

--
Dan Langille -- http://www.langille.org/
dan@langille.org