Re: 100% cpu usage on some postmaster processes kill the complete database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paul Dunkler
Subject Re: 100% cpu usage on some postmaster processes kill the complete database
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

You're running on a box larger than I'm used to, so this is only speculation. I'm wondering whether you're hitting problems with lock contention or some such. It looks like you've got 48 cores there all at about 100% possibly none of them getting much chance to do any work.

Yes. That is what i see too...

Oddly, the totals you posted in your top output show 6.3% user cpu usage, which I can't make match with 50-odd processes all approaching 100% cpu.

Sometimes the Cpu is only 7% used in this times but at other peak times, the cpu is used 100% (97% system load) as i posted before.

Perhaps have a look at vmstat output too - see if context-switches spike unusually high during these periods (sorry - no idea what an unusually high number would be on a machine like yours).

Thanks. i will have a look at it.

Reducing the number of concurrent backends might help, but that rather depends on whether my guess is right.

Yes... already thought about setting up a connection pool.

If no-one more experienced than me comes along shortly, try reposting to the performance list. There are people there who are used to machines of this size.

Thanks. I will wait a time and consider re-posting it to the perfornance list.

--
 Richard Huxton
 Archonet Ltd

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Paul Dunkler

XYRALITY GmbH • Lerchenstraße 28a • 22767 Hamburg
Paul Dunkler • Softwareentwickler
Mail: paul.dunkler@xyrality.com
Tel: +49 (0) 40 23 51 78 97
Mobil: +49 (0) 151 252 228 42
Fax: +49 (0) 40 23 51 78 98
Web: http://www.xyrality.com/
Registergericht: Hamburg HRB 115332
Geschäftsführer: Sven Ossenbrüggen & Alexander Spohr

Attachment