Re: Overhauling GUCS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Overhauling GUCS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
>> Ugh, why so much context switching? Put the docs next to the setting. URLs
>> are nice but not necessary. If you are arguing for minimum comments in
>> conf files, please make a patch for pg_hba.conf ;)

> Hah! Well I don't know that a minimum of comments is what I am arguing
> as much as not too much comments. The comments in general in the
> postgresql.conf are useless unless you have previous knowledge. I really
> think that if we take advantage of the fact that we have static URLs
> that life would be easier overall.

Yeah ... this thread started out with the idea of reducing duplication,
so how did we arrive at wanting to duplicate the SGML documentation into
postgresql.conf.sample?  I think we need to integrate, not duplicate.

(pg_hba.conf.sample is a pretty good example of what not to do, I think
... and it used to be even worse ...)