on disk and in memory - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jayadevan M
Subject on disk and in memory
Date
List pgsql-performance

Hello,

If a table takes 100 MB while on disk, approximately how much space will it take in RAM/database buffer?

Context – We are designing a database that will hold a couple of GBs of data. We wanted to figure out how much shared_buffers we should provide to ensure that most of the time, all the data will be in memory. This is mostly master data (transactions will go to Casandra), and will be read from, rarely written to. We do need data integrity, transaction management, failover etc – hence PostgreSQL.

Regards,

Jayadevan

DISCLAIMER: "The information in this e-mail and any attachment is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If you have received this e-mail in error, kindly contact the sender and destroy all copies of the original communication. IBS makes no warranty, express or implied, nor guarantees the accuracy, adequacy or completeness of the information contained in this email or any attachment and is not liable for any errors, defects, omissions, viruses or for resultant loss or damage, if any, direct or indirect."