Re: How to improve db performance with $7K? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Alex Turner
Subject Re: How to improve db performance with $7K?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Whilst I admire your purist approach, I would say that if it is
beneficial to performance that a kernel understand drive geometry,
then it is worth investigating teaching it how to deal with that!

I was less referrring to the kernel as I was to the controller.

Lets say we invented a new protocol that including the drive telling
the controller how it was layed out at initialization time so that the
controller could make better decisions about re-ordering seeks.  It
would be more cost effective to have that set of electronics just once
in the controller, than 8 times on each drive in an array, which would
yield better performance to cost ratio.  Therefore I would suggest it
is something that should be investigated.  After all, why implemented
TCQ on each drive, if it can be handled more effeciently at the other
end by the controller for less money?!

Alex Turner
netEconomist