Re: Getting Started newbie questions) - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Ron Peck
Subject Re: Getting Started newbie questions)
Date
List pgsql-novice
Redhat builds postgresql in /var/lib/pgsql

Ron Peck
Software Engineer
Associated Creditors Exchange
(602) 650-5918

    -----Original Message-----
    From:    Steve_Miller@sil.org [SMTP:Steve_Miller@sil.org]
    Sent:    Thursday, January 09, 2003 9:56 AM
    To:    pgsql-novice@postgresql.org
    Subject:    [NOVICE] Getting Started newbie questions)

    I'm new to both Linux and Postgres

    I installed Red Hat 8 on a stand-alone test machine yesterday. I did
    custom install, and installed everything. So my assumption is that
    everything Red Hat 8 could install was installed, including
Postgresql.

    I went into Server Settings, Services, and in Service Configuration
found
    postgresql. I checked it, so that it would start on reboot. The
machine has
    since been rebooted

    The tutorial says the Postgresql is stored in /usr/local/pgsql/ and
    /usr/local/pgsql/data. I don't see either one, either as me (Steve)
or as
    root. I do see files under /usr/lib/, usr/share/, and usr/include.

    The tutorial says to try to create a new database with

          $ createdb mydb

    I get the error:

          psql: FATAL 1:  user "Steve" does not exist
          createdb: database creation failed.

    This sounds to me like postmaster is running. But what do I know?

    The tutorial says to try the command with the absolute path:

          /usr/local/pgsql/bin/createdb mydb

    I get the error:

          No such file or directory

    No surprise there. I already saw that I couldn't find a
/usr/local/pgsql

    Steve

        (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to
majordomo@postgresql.org)