Re: - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Mitch Pirtle
Subject Re:
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 2/27/06, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> > "In our survey, 90 percent of our developers work with or deployed to
> > Windows platforms," McKendrick explained. "Windows dominates this space,
> > and a database that doesn't run on Windows or doesn't run effectively in
> > Windows would have a fairly limited reach."
> >
> > Does that strike anyone else as being *highly* skewed?
> >
> But true? ---

If you happen to survey a bunch of 100-500 person companies with
local, distributed IT support staff, then you will see that more than
90% of the servers in use are locally administered, and almost always
running some version of Windows. It is trivial to also point the exact
same survey to only the corporate administration groups in larger
businesses ('corporate' meaning all the servers are in datacenters
somewhere), who almost always have UNIX, OS400 and/or some other
non-windows *nix variant as the dominant server platform.

It all depends on who you ask. If I want windows-skewed results, then
I just ask the local IT folks. If I want *nix, then I ask the
corporate applications developers and consolidated system admins.

Is this consistent with everyone else's experience? Just wanting a
reality check here...

--
Mitch Pirtle
Joomla! Core Developer