Re: choosing RAID level for xlogs

From: Vivek Khera
Subject: Re: choosing RAID level for xlogs
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

choosing RAID level for xlogs  ("Anjan Dave", )
 Re: choosing RAID level for xlogs  (, )
 Re: choosing RAID level for xlogs  ("Anjan Dave", )
  Re: choosing RAID level for xlogs  (John A Meinel, )
  Re: choosing RAID level for xlogs  (Vivek Khera, )
  Re: choosing RAID level for xlogs  (John A Meinel, )
   Re: choosing RAID level for xlogs  (Alex Turner, )
  Re: choosing RAID level for xlogs  (Alex Turner, )
 Re: choosing RAID level for xlogs  ("Gregory S. Williamson", )

On Aug 16, 2005, at 2:37 PM, Anjan Dave wrote:

> Yes, that's true, though, I am a bit confused because the Clariion
> array
> document I am reading talks about how the write cache can eliminate
> the
> RAID5 Write Penalty for sequential and large IOs...resulting in better
> sequential write performance than RAID10.

well, then run your own tests and find out :-)

if I were using LSI MegaRAID controllers, I'd probalby go RAID10, but
I don't see why you need 6 disks for this... perhaps just 4 would be
enough?  Or are your logs really that big?

Vivek Khera, Ph.D.
+1-301-869-4449 x806