Re: alter enum add value if not exists - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: alter enum add value if not exists
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hannu Krosing <hannu@2ndQuadrant.com> writes:
> On 09/22/2012 11:49 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> Not really, I guess we should for the sake of consistency, although TBH
>> I find it just useless noise and rather wish we hadn't started the
>> trend when we did the first DROP IF NOT EXISTS stuff.

> Time for a GUC
> existence_notice = none | exists | not_exists | all

Not another one :-( ... isn't client_min_messages good enough?

We sort of had this discussion before w.r.t. the notices about creating
primary key indexes etc.  I wonder whether we should make a formal
effort to split NOTICE message level into, say, NOTICE and NOVICE
levels, where the latter contains all the "training wheels" stuff that
experienced users would really rather not see.  Or maybe just redefine
NOTICE as meaning novice-oriented messages, and push anything that
doesn't seem to fit that categorization into another existing message
level?