Re: Do we still need parent column in pg_backend_memory_context? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Do we still need parent column in pg_backend_memory_context?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> writes:
> I feel the bar is a bit lower for pg_backend_memory_contexts as it was
> only added in v14, so it's not been around as long as pg_class had
> been around in 2018 when we removed relhaspkey.

Yeah, and also it's very much a developer-focused view with a limited
audience.  It's certainly possible that we could remove the column
and nobody would complain.  I just wanted to point out that there is
a compatibility worry here.

> One thing we could do is remove it and see if anyone complains.  If we
> did that today, there's about a year-long window for people to
> complain where we could still reverse the decision.

Seems like a plausible compromise.