Re: pg_restore fails on Windows - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Tom
Subject Re: pg_restore fails on Windows
Date
List pgsql-general
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > I wrote:
> >> Of course the larger issue is why it's failing --- 150MB doesn't seem
> >> like that much for a modern machine.  I suspect that PQerrorMessage()
> >> would tell us something useful, but pg_restore isn't letting us see it.
> >
> > I've applied a patch for the latter issue.  But the only way we can find
> > out what's happening is if someone will build a Windows version from CVS
> > tip for the OP...
>
> Attached is a pg_restore.exe off CVS tip today, which should include the
> patch. Please try this one.
>
> //Magnus

I tested the restore using the provided pg_restore.exe. The output is:

for --inserts mode:
-------------------------------
pg_restore: connecting to database for restore
Password:
pg_restore: creating SCHEMA public
pg_restore: creating COMMENT SCHEMA public
pg_restore: creating TABLE hibtableattachmentxmldata
pg_restore: restoring data for table "hibtableattachmentxmldata"
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] Error from TOC entry 1731; 0 16429 TABLE DATA hibtableattachmentxmldata postgres
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: could not send data to server: No buffer space available
(0x0000274
7/10055)
    Command was: INSERT INTO hibtableattachmentxmldata VALUES ('1111',
'FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF...
pg_restore: setting owner and privileges for SCHEMA public
pg_restore: setting owner and privileges for COMMENT SCHEMA public
pg_restore: setting owner and privileges for ACL public
pg_restore: setting owner and privileges for TABLE hibtableattachmentxmldata
WARNING: errors ignored on restore: 1

for COPY mode
------------------------
pg_restore: connecting to database for restore
Password:
pg_restore: creating SCHEMA public
pg_restore: creating COMMENT SCHEMA public
pg_restore: creating TABLE hibtableattachmentxmldata
pg_restore: restoring data for table "hibtableattachmentxmldata"
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] error returned by PQputCopyData: could not send data to server: No buffer space available
(0
x00002747/10055)
pg_restore: *** aborted because of error

The restore in the COPY mode was obviously aborted, whereas the --inserts finished with warnings.

Note: the provided pg_restore.exe is not compiled with the support for compressed dumps.

Regards,
Tomas