Re: pgbench - allow to store select results into variables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgbench - allow to store select results into variables
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 3:02 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I note also that we were talking a couple months ago
>> about trying to align psql and pgbench backslash commands more closely.
>> This would not be a good step in that direction.

> True, but I'd still argue that \into is a lot more readable than
> \gset.  Maybe both programs should support both commands.

Meh, personal preference there no doubt.  I'd be okay with both programs
supporting both commands, but the \into command as described here would
be quite unreasonable to implement in psql.  It needs to act more like
a semicolon-substitute, as \g and the rest of its family do.  (I think
I'd also lobby for spelling it \ginto.)