Re: [HACKERS] New partitioning - some feedback - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] New partitioning - some feedback
Date
Re: [HACKERS] New partitioning - some feedback
List pgsql-hackers
> I don't have a strong view on whether partitions should be hidden by
> default, although I lean slightly against it (say, -0.25).  But if we
> do decide to hide them by default, then I definitely want an
> easy-to-use modifier that overrides that behavior, like being able to
> type \d! or whatever to have them included after all.

AIUI the user is responsible for DDL on partitions, like say creating
indexes for them?  Seems like hiding them is a bad idea given that.
Also, we need to be careful about calling them something very separate
from "table", because that would rouse the need to have duplicate syntax
for every sort of ALTER TABLE and suchlike command that we want to have
be usable with partitions.  I think we've largely gone the wrong direction
in that respect with respect to foreign tables and matviews.