Re: Official Windows Installer and Documentation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Official Windows Installer and Documentation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I wrote:
> If EDB isn't adequately filling in the documentation for the behavior
> of their packaging, that's on them.

Having now looked more closely at the pg_upgrade documentation,
I don't think this is exactly EDB's fault; it's text that should
never have been there to begin with.  ISTM we need to simply rip out
lines 431..448 of pgupgrade.sgml, that is all the Windows-specific
text starting with

     For Windows users, you must be logged into an administrative account, and

That has got nothing to recommend it: we do not generally provide
platform-specific details in these man pages, and to the extent it
provides details, those details are likely to be wrong.  We need
look no further than the references to "9.6" to establish that.
Yeah, it says "e.g.", but novices will probably fail to understand
which parts of the example are suitable to copy verbatim and which
aren't.  Meanwhile non-novices don't need the example to begin with.
On top of which, the whole para has been inserted into
non-platform-specific text, seemingly with the aid of a dartboard,
because it doesn't particularly connect to what's before or after it.