Re: Reducing power consumption on idle servers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Reducing power consumption on idle servers
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> The reason that I pushed back -- not as successfully as I would have
> liked -- on the changes to pg_stop_backup / pg_start_backup is that I
> know there are people using the old method successfully, and it's not
> just a 1:1 substitution. Here I don't, and it is. I'm totally open to
> the feedback that such people exist and to hearing why adopting one of
> the newer methods would be a problem for them, if that's the case. But
> if there's no evidence that such people exist or that changing is a
> problem for them, I don't think waiting 5 years on principle is good
> for the project.

We make incompatible changes in every release; see the release notes.
Unless somebody can give a plausible use-case where this'd be a
difficult change to deal with, I concur that we don't need to
deprecate it ahead of time.