Re: Should I care about this error "failed to link /usr/bin/psql [...] exists and it is not a symlink"? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Should I care about this error "failed to link /usr/bin/psql [...] exists and it is not a symlink"?
Date
In response to Should I care about this error "failed to link /usr/bin/psql [...]exists and it is not a symlink"?  (Ekaterina Amez <ekaterina.amez@zunibal.com>)
List pgsql-admin
Ekaterina Amez <ekaterina.amez@zunibal.com> writes:
> I'm installing postgres 9.6 in a CentOS 7 computer that already has
> postgres v9.2 installed (version that comes with CentOS installer) and
> I've seen the message of this mail's subject.
> failed to link /usr/bin/psql -> /etc/alternatives/pgsql-psql: /usr/bin/psql exists and it is not a symlink

I believe the issue here is that you've got Red Hat's postgresql packages
installed, and they're not set up to participate in alternatives
switching.  I'd suggest removing those packages --- having them installed
alongside PGDG postgres packages is going to lead to nothing but grief.

            regards, tom lane