Re: license cleanup - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: license cleanup
Date
List pgsql-patches
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> This patch cleans up the licensing terms on some imported BSD-licensed
> files in the source tree:

Looks good.

> I was also going to update the licenses on files imported from FreeBSD,
> but apparently they haven't bothered fixing their files to reflect the
> 3-clause Berkeley license. Of course the fact they haven't done this
> doesn't matter (the license change applies anyway); do people think it
> is worth modifying the licenses on these imported files anyway?

I think it is a real bad idea to unilaterally change the copyright text
in files we got from somewhere else, no matter how benign our intentions.

Instead, how about adopting the NetBSD version of the functionality?
If the files did indeed come from UCB originally, then NetBSD should
have a copy too ...

            regards, tom lane