Re: server process (PID 2964738) was terminated by signal 11: Segmentation fault - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: server process (PID 2964738) was terminated by signal 11: Segmentation fault
Date
Re: server process (PID 2964738) was terminated by signal 11: Segmentation fault  (Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Stefan Froehlich <postgresql@froehlich.priv.at> writes:
> On Mon, Nov 07, 2022 at 08:17:10AM -0500, Mladen Gogala wrote:
>> On 11/7/22 06:19, Laurenz Albe wrote:
>>> Don't continue to work with that cluster even if everything seems OK now.
>>> "pg_dumpall" and restore to a new cluster on good hardware.

>> Why would that be necessary if the original machine works well now?

> I can understand the idea not to trust hardware anymore once a (not
> clearly identified) problem occured.

> In this case new hardware would - for reasons beyond the scope of
> this list - not be any more or less trustworthy than the existing
> one and thus (IMO) not make any difference.

Whether you want to continue to trust the hardware or not is your
call.  It'd still be recommendable to pg_dumpall and restore into
a freshly-initdb'd cluster, because otherwise you can't be real
sure that you identified and cleared all the data corruption.

            regards, tom lane