Re: BUG #10329: Could not read block 0 in file "base/56100265/57047884": read only 0 of 8192 bytes - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #10329: Could not read block 0 in file "base/56100265/57047884": read only 0 of 8192 bytes
Date
In response to Re: BUG #10329: Could not read block 0 in file "base/56100265/57047884": read only 0 of 8192 bytes  (Olivier Macchioni <olivier.macchioni@wingo.ch>)
List pgsql-bugs
Olivier Macchioni <olivier.macchioni@wingo.ch> writes:
> - I assume there is a usage for hash indexes and we don't simply want to deprecate them

There's a school of thought that says we *should* deprecate them as
long as we don't have WAL support, but that viewpoint is not universally
subscribed to.

One of the arguments against Bruce's proposal to print a warning at hash
index creation is that it's a particularly ineffective form of
deprecation.  In your example, since the hash index was created by some
app not manually, I'll bet nobody would have seen/noticed the warning
even if there had been one.

            regards, tom lane