Re: Confusing error message with too-large file in pg_basebackup - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Confusing error message with too-large file in pg_basebackup
Date
List pgsql-bugs
John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> writes:
> On 11/20/2015 2:13 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> It'd be reasonable to skip 'em if we can identify 'em reliably.  I'm
>> not sure how reliably we can do that though.

> aren't they nearly always named 'core' ?

No.  Modern systems more often call them something like 'core.<pid>'.
What really makes it messy is that the name is user-configurable on
most Linux kernels, see /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern.

We could probably get away with excluding anything that matches "*core*",
but it wouldn't be bulletproof.

            regards, tom lane