Re: [ANNOUNCE] USENET vs Mailing Lists Poll ... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mike Cox
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] USENET vs Mailing Lists Poll ...
Date
List pgsql-general
Woodchuck Bill wrote:

>> ppl like PeterE, TomL, JoshuaD, etc ... the thread can be seen:
>>
>>      http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-11/msg01110.php
>
> Trying to sway the vote?

Well, you have to admit that for _developers_, email is probably better.
But remember developers are probably less than 1% of all PostgreSQL users.
PostgreSQL is very popular, and is most likely among the most widely used
BSD licensed projects.

Ultimately, the RFD is about providing a place for _Usenet_ PostgreSQL users
who have been neglected for quite some time.  With the ease of posting to
the big 8 group, and the very large propegation, I can see why the
comp.databases.postgresql group will be very popular.  I originally tried
to include the developers so they could follow the comp PostgreSQL group
through their mailing list, but that proved too technically difficult.

If they want to follow what will be a huge PostgreSQL usenet community in
the big 8, they will have to subscribe to comp.databases.postgresql. :-)