Re: Code of Conduct plan - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martin Mueller
Subject Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date
List pgsql-general

On 9/14/18, 12:50 PM, "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

    On 09/14/2018 07:41 AM, James Keener wrote:
    > > Community is people who joined it
    >
    > We're not a "community."

    I do not think you are going to get very many people on board with that
    argument. As anyone who knows me will attest I am one of the most
    contrarian members of this community but I still agree that it is a
    community.

    JD

As Bill Clinton said in another context, "it all depends on the meaning of 'community'".  'Community' is a very tricky
wordwith uncertain boundaries and variable degrees of belonging to it.  Moreover, it's reciprocal: 'you' and the
'community'may have different ideas of whether or how you belong. Rules in communities are usually tacit. You might
almostwant to say that if you need to write rules you no longer have a community.  Writing community rules is a very
andprobably hopeless endeavor.

For quite a while the word 'community' has been grossly overused and has often been invoked as a way of creating a
senseof community where there is reason to doubt whether the thing is there in the first place.

'Civil' and 'civility' are more modest words with more modest goals that are perhaps easier to capture in language.
Whenit comes to a code of civil conduct, less is more. If you use more than the words of the ten commandments you
almostcertainly have gone too far. I have yet to see a posting on this list that would suggest an urgent need for
tryingto regulate what contributors say or how they say it.

    --
    Command Prompt, Inc. ||
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__the.postgres.company_&d=DwICaQ&c=yHlS04HhBraes5BQ9ueu5zKhE7rtNXt_d012z2PA6ws&r=rG8zxOdssqSzDRz4x1GLlmLOW60xyVXydxwnJZpkxbk&m=RJwS1VI8elhlnCutR_Pulg0oUzeSh5KpHQs0EJSdr04&s=3RBPPMk6HiBPEHYfzKDsP-DZxFvRs5NCYc9LKGXjpdE&e=
||@cmdpromptinc

    ***  A fault and talent of mine is to tell it exactly how it is.  ***
    PostgreSQL centered full stack support, consulting and development.
    Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__postgresconf.org&d=DwICaQ&c=yHlS04HhBraes5BQ9ueu5zKhE7rtNXt_d012z2PA6ws&r=rG8zxOdssqSzDRz4x1GLlmLOW60xyVXydxwnJZpkxbk&m=RJwS1VI8elhlnCutR_Pulg0oUzeSh5KpHQs0EJSdr04&s=ZiPaHw5gfja9OJeMGlTHieS-paSoyTHYC35rTgkwv_U&e=
    *****     Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.   *****