Re: Release Notes Archive Patch - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Release Notes Archive Patch
Date
List pgsql-www
"Jonathan S. Katz" <jkatz@postgresql.org> writes:
> On 2/13/19 11:18 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/release-9-6-5.html
>> but those are going to be 404 beginning tomorrow.  It sounds from your
>> response like this patch isn't meant to restore those cross-version URLs.
>> Which is fine by me, really, but we might get pushback about it.  If so,

> Now, in terms of things like "/docs/9.5/9-4-19.html" and the like, the
> only one that had significant traffic was
> /docs/9.6/static/release-9-5.html, and that was #25 on the list (the
> notes coming before it accounting for 60%+ of the traffic).

I wonder how much of that just amounts to people clicking on the "next
page" link till they get to a page that's not relevant to what they're
interested in.  If so, there won't be any UX problem, because the

Making these URLs go away only matters to the extent that people have
them bookmarked (seems unlikely) or get sent there by google searches
(rather more likely).

Anyway, I think we could push what you have here and then await
developments before deciding if there's a need for more work.

            regards, tom lane