Re: [HACKERS] Faster methods for getting SPI results (460% improvement) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Faster methods for getting SPI results (460% improvement)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jim Nasby <jim.nasby@openscg.com> writes:
> On 4/6/17 8:13 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Given Peter's objections, I don't think this is getting into v10 anyway,
>> so we might as well take a bit more time and do it right.

> Well, Peter's objection is that we're not going far enough in plpython,
> but there's absolutely no way to do more without breaking plpy, which
> seems a non-starter. We should certainly be able to expand the existing
> API to provide even more benefit, but I see no reason to leave the
> performance gain this patch provides on the floor just because there's
> more to be had with a different API.

Personally I'm way more excited about what a SPI feature like this
could do for plpgsql than about what it can do for plpython.  If the
latter is what floats your boat, that's fine; but I want a feature
that we can build on for other uses, not a hack that we know we need
to redesign next month.