Re: Schedule and Release Management Team for PG10 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Schedule and Release Management Team for PG10
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 10:34 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> As previously agreed at the PGCon 2016 developers meeting, we'll
>> institute v10 feature freeze at the completion of the current
>> commitfest (end of this month).

> This means, as I understand it, that no new features should be
> committed by anyone past the end of March, unless for some reason the
> RMT decides to grant an extension for some particular case.

Well, formally speaking, the RMT declares the onset of feature freeze.
I expressed an opinion that they'd probably do so at the end of March,
but it's their call as to exactly when to do so, and whether to grant
any limited extensions/exceptions.

My own thought is that there's room for at least a few days' slop in
the end date of the final commitfest, depending on what patches remain
open and what the prospects are for getting them done.  (In the past
we've sometimes let the final fest stretch on indefinitely, which is
clearly the Wrong Thing; but that doesn't mean that the Right Thing is
to say that it ends at 2017-04-01 00:00 UTC no matter what.)  The RMT
should look at things in another day or two and make a judgment call
about that.

> Instead,
> we should work on clearing out the open items list, so that we can go
> to beta in a timely fashion.

Certainly that should be the focus as soon as we are in feature freeze.