Re: 9.4 broken on alpha - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 9.4 broken on alpha
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> But I really strongly object to re-introducing alpha support. Having to
> care about data dependency barriers is a huge pita, and it complicates
> code for everyone. And we'd have to investigate a lot of code to
> actually make it work reliably. For what benefit?

I hear you, but that's only an issue for multi-CPU machines no?  If we
just say "we doubt this works on multi-CPU Alphas, if it breaks you get to
keep both pieces", then we're basically at the same place we were before.

To be clear: I don't want to do the work you're speaking of, either.
But if we have people who were successfully using PG on Alphas before,
the coherency issues must not have been a problem for them.  Can't we
just (continue to) ignore the issue?

> If we really were to re-introduce this we'd need an actual developer
> machine to run tests against.

I would certainly expect that we'd insist on active support from the Alpha
community; we're not going to continue to do this in an open-loop fashion.