Re: Actual Cost - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Actual Cost
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> What would I find very useful is a verbosity option to get the cost
> estimates expressed as a multiplier of each *_cost parameter, rather than
> just as a scalar.

Perhaps, but refactoring to get that seems impractically invasive &
expensive, since e.g. index AM cost estimate functions would have to
be redefined, plus we'd have to carry around some kind of cost vector
rather than single numbers for every Path ...

> And at the whole-query level, get an rusage report
> rather than just wall-clock duration.

I'm sure you're aware of log_statement_stats and friends already.
I agree though that that's not necessarily an optimal user interface.