Re: standardized backwards incompatibility tag for commits - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: standardized backwards incompatibility tag for commits
Date
Re: standardized backwards incompatibility tag for commits  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Seems like it'd be good to standardize how we're declaring that a commit
> contains backwards incompatible changes.  I've seen
> - 'BACKWARDS INCOMPATIBLE CHANGE'
> - 'BACKWARD INCOMPATIBILITY'
> - a lot of free-flow text annotations like "as a
>   backward-incompatibility", "This makes a backwards-incompatible change"

> Especially the latter are easy to miss when looking through the commit
> log and I'd bet some get missed when generating the release notes.

Bruce might have a different opinion, but for my own part I do not think
it would make any difference in creating the release notes.  The important
thing is that the information be there in the log entry, not exactly how
it's spelled.