Re: Alpha Releases: Docs? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Alpha Releases: Docs?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> As far as the alpha releases, I am still worried about the use of the
> word "alpha".  I am worried someone is going to look at 8.4alpha1 and
> think that represents most of the features that will be in 8.5final, and
> will think the Postgres project is losing momentum.  I would much rather
> they be called Commit Feast 1 (CF1), or something like that.

I think that's easily dealt with by a suitable notice at the top of
the alpha release notes (or whatever substitutes for them).

As was discussed at the PGCon meeting, we can't use "cfN" because that
doesn't sort before "betaN", which would confuse the heck out of various
package management services.  I'm not wedded to the term "alpha", but
we need something that is alphanumerically less than "beta".