Re: earthdistance - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Uwe Schroeder
Subject Re: earthdistance
Date
List pgsql-general

How accurate do you need it? My website has a lot of "local" listing stuff based on a distance from the viewer and I use the earthdistance module in contrib to do it.

Given, it's not accurate enough to calculate a surgical missile strike, but for "within 20 miles" type of things it's good enough - give or take a mile.

The problem I have is to determine the location of the viewer/poster. Aside from asking precice lat/long coordinates (which no user will have any clue about), the next best thing is to rely on smartphones and their GPS - but what of regular browser/computer users? When I let google map my location it shows as San Francisco - which is about 56 miles off. So network location makes no sense for this.

I'm using a zipcode based geographical mapping, which already has flaws since a zipcode is an area, not a point. The commonly available zipcode databases give you the geographical center of the zipcode - which certainly will be some distance off from the real location.

I found that the inaccuracies work for my application - nobody cares about a few more or less miles when looking for something. The advantage is that it also protects the privacy of the poster to some degree - nobody really needs to know exactly where the post originated...

If "openbarter" is what I think it is (kinda craigslist just with bartering), I think a few miles off won't make a difference. Chances are, your members won't divulge their true location anyways. We have members from South Africa using a US zipcode - which is what ... 5000 miles off?

Earthdistance is definitely easy to deal with - just give a latitude/longitude and off you go..

Uwe