Re: A smaller default postgresql.conf - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jaime Casanova
Subject Re: A smaller default postgresql.conf
Date
Re: A smaller default postgresql.conf  (Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 9:40 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
>> I'd still like to see us adopt the proposal from some time ago where
>> we stop commenting out the parameters at all, but short of that,
>> hiding options seems about the worst choice we could make.
>
> Well, there seems to be a very substantial body of opinion that says
> we *do* need to hide "uninteresting" options.

more to the point... not just "uninteresting" but "dangerous for the
uninformed" ones...
i have seen to many people turning off fsync in OLTP systems 'cause
someone tolds them that will improve speed...
and work_mem setted at 256Mb because that improves a bad query that
should be rewritten as something more sanely...

--
regards,
Jaime Casanova