Re: time sensitve: comparing performance to MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: time sensitve: comparing performance to MySQL
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
The information you are looking for is indeed hard to find.  A lot of
the information on the web is inaccurate or out of date.  For truly
unbiased comparisons you need to find independent entities that have
worked with both databases.  Unfortunately many database shops (but not
all) are reluctant to publish meaningful results.  FWIW, perhaps the
advocacy site for either database is not the best place to be looking.
Duty calls, however, so I will make my case.

Here is a site comparing the relative capabilities of the architectures:
http://www.commandprompt.com/images/mammoth_versus_dolphin_500.jpg

Here is an article I recently wrote about application development with
PG that may have some helpful information (no benchmarks though):
http://www.zeoslib.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=19&mode=&o
rder=0&thold=0

The 'speed gap' is an oversimplification that does not really exist.
From my understanding, mysql is faster for:
1. insert operations
2. update operations for 1 record
3. bulk updates
4. typical 'where id=x' select statements that return 1 row

pg is faster for:
1. multiple user workloads for non read-only applications (thanks to
mvcc)
2. complex queries (better optimizer, statistics)
3. development
4. transactions vs. InnoDB

#2 is probably the most relevant in your case.  #3 is strictly my
opinion, but I'm pretty well informed.  Overall, PG has a much more
concurrency friendly architecture from the ground up.

Because you are coming from Oracle, there should be no question about
your decision.  PG has a feature set similar nearly as good as O's and a
lot of similar constructs.  Examples:
1. Sequences
2. Row level transaction locking
3. PL/SQL
4. ?? (I've never worked with O)

By the way, I think mysql is a decent product with some nice features.
If you are planning a web app with scripting in PHP or Perl, you could
make a decent argument for mysql.  I still think PG is better, tho.

Regards,
Merlin