Re: Is the MySQL situation an opportunity or a distraction? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Is the MySQL situation an opportunity or a distraction?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Nick Fankhauser wrote:

The recent discussion of opportunities among the new orphans in the
MySQL
community raises another issue in my mind-

Do we really want the MySQL users?
<snip>

I think that is up to the users themselves to decide.  It's hard to
argue against a larger user base because that means more exposure which
in turn means more money and contributions to the project.  What is the
downside besides posting stupid questions on the lists?

Until recently there were still some valid reasons to choose mysql so a
lot of people had to go that route, regardless of their skill level.
Mysql still has a strong niche in the web publishing sector which is an
attractive group because they put a lot of content out on the internet.

Regards,
Merlin