Re: date_part/extract parse curiosity - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: date_part/extract parse curiosity
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Japin Li <japinli@hotmail.com> writes:
> On Thu, 20 Oct 2022 at 20:45, Erik Rijkers <er@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>> I noticed that
>> select date_part('millennium', now()); --> 3
>>
>> will execute also, unperturbed, in this form:
>> select date_part('millennium xxxxx', now()); --> 3

> Maybe we should document this.  I'd be inclined to change the code to
> match the certain valid field names.

I think changing this behavior has a significant chance of drawing
complaints and zero chance of making anyone happier.

The current state of affairs (including the lack of unnecessary
documentation detail) is likely quite intentional.