Re: SV: MySQL and PostgreSQL speed compare - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lincoln Yeoh
Subject Re: SV: MySQL and PostgreSQL speed compare
Date
List pgsql-general
At 04:08 PM 29-12-2000 -0500, Lamar Owen wrote:
>But, then again, if the default settings are so bad performance-wise,
>why _are_ they the default anyway?  There should be good reason, of
>course, but I think maybe the defaults could or should be revisited as
>to applicability.

Heh, I've seen someone say that almost all the Oracle defaults are wrong :).

What other databases do the equivalent of Postgresql's default of sync on
every commit?

Thing is, Postgresql has had that sync default for years and because of
that there probably aren't so many tools or mechanisms to deal with the
failure of not syncing on every commit. So it's probably restore from
backup if things go poof, as there's not much info out there on repairing
the database. So far it's just pg_dump, vacuum, restore from backup.

Cheerio,
Link.