Re: Status of new relation file naming - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Philip Warner
Subject Re: Status of new relation file naming
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At 09:44 13/09/00 +0300, Hannu Krosing wrote:
>"Mikheev, Vadim" wrote:
>>
>> > My idea was to append a version number or oid on to the end
>> > of the file name, and use that somehow.
>>
>> You'll lose all you would buy as soon as we'll begin to store many
>> relations in single file...
>
>Perhaps we could then use the name of DATASPACE = filename ?

I don't want to (re)^n ignite the the debate, but file naming has been
discussed many times before and my recollection of the result of the last
debate was that the names should either be random or OID based. It seems
that adding a different meaning to filenames at this stage would be a bad
idea, and doom us to repeat the file naming debate again in a year or two.

My vote is for a random number, and then someone can write the tools to
display the file info. I'll even volunteer to work on them...

PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371   |/