Re: [HACKERS] pg_dump & blobs - editable dump? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Philip Warner
Subject Re: [HACKERS] pg_dump & blobs - editable dump?
Date
List pgsql-general
At 10:13 12/07/00 -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:
>Philip Warner wrote:
>> My guess is that this will involve a plain text schema dump, followed by
>> all BLOBs in separate files, and a script to load them. To implement this
>> I'll obviosly need to be passed a directory/file location for the script
>> since I can't pipe seperate files to stdout.
>
>uuencode the blobs, perhaps, using a shar-like format?

For the human readable version, the request was to make it editable and
sendable to psql. As a result the BLOBs need to be in their binary format
OR psql needs to support BLOB import from stdin. As a first pass I was
hoping for the simple 'dump them into files' solution.

What I am confused by is what people actually want to do with a load of
BLOBs sitting in a directory; if there are specific needs, then I'd also
like to cater for them in the custom file formats.

(A.C.N. 008 659 498)             |          /(@)   ______---_
Http://www.rhyme.com.au          |                /           \|
PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371   |/