Re: [GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: SGVLLUG Oracle and Informix on Linux] - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Roberto Joao Lopes Garcia
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: SGVLLUG Oracle and Informix on Linux]
Date
List pgsql-general
That is my case:

We have an Sun Ultra Sparc acting as a server for ~ 90 Pc runing M$ Dos or
Windows, almost all playing with a CAD program. I and a few other people
take care of the whole thing.

We need a SQL server but it is very hard for us to have approved a budget
of thousands of dollars to buy, traning and mantain a program like Informix
or Oracle to run in our server when we have to buy computers and programs
that runs CAD to allow ours  engineers to work.

So PostgreSQL realley save my life. It runs very well at Sun, I have a very
good support from all of you and I do not need all the stuff Oracle or
Informix offers.

I am now makeing a program that controls all our project files (more than
50.000) that are acessed by people that works where.(It was based in DBF
files). And the files and data will be accessible inside our office or
outside through browsers (CGI etc ...).

I will port a big calc program that will store all data into PostgreSQL.

I see PostgreSQL not only as a program for PC runing Linux but also as a
very good alternative for all unix box.

Roberto

>OK, let's discuss this.  How does this affect us?  With all three
>releasing around the same time, they really dilute themselves.  I can't
>imagine most people trying more than one of the commercial alternatives.

Eng. Roberto João Lopes Garcia         E-mail: roberto@mha.com.br
F. 55 11 848 9906   FAX  55 11 848 9955

MHA Engenharia Ltda
E-mail: mha@mha.com.br    WWW: http://www.mha.com.br

Av Maia Coelho Aguiar, 215 Bloco D     2 Andar
Centro Empresarial de Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo - BRASIL - 05805 000